New Pace Requirement Announced for 2015
New extended pace gives runners an added 30 minutes on Lake Shore Drive.
The Chicago Half Marathon is the city’s only road race to utilize an entirely traffic-free Lake Shore Drive. Witnessing the sweeping views along one of the nation’s most famous and scenic roadways requires intricate coordination with the City of Chicago, the Chicago Police Department and the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT). In order to lessen the community impact of closing Lake Shore Drive (and surrounding streets), this event offers a 16-minute mile pace requirement.
Previously a 13-minute mile, the new 16-minute mile pace goes into effect as soon as the last participant crosses the start line and is maintained by the Back of the Pack Crew – a group of volunteer runners who encourage runners to stay on-pace. The Back of the Pack Crew is followed by the SAG van and a clean-up crew, who work to immediately reopen the course at specific time intervals.
Participants who do not maintain the 16-minute pace and fall behind the Back of the Pack Crew will have two options:
- Board the SAG van and be transported to the finish line.
- Move to the Lakefront Trail, which can be accessed at six different locations/checkpoints along Lake Shore Drive. The trail will be completely supported with aid stations including water, Gatorade Endurance, restrooms, mobile medical staff and course marshals to guide participants.
The finish line will remain open for those on the Lakefront Trail until 11:30 a.m. Gear check and the finish festival will close at 12:00 p.m.
Beat the Clock
In order to meet the pace requirement, we offer the following mile locations, lake front path access points and times to help you “Beat the Clock”:
- Mile 2.6 at Marquette & Lake Shore Drive (North Bound): 8:00 a.m. – Directed to 5K finish
- Mile 3.6 at Hayes Dr. & Lake Shore Drive (North Bound): 8:20 a.m. – Directed to 5K finish
- Mile 8.7 at 31st Street & Lake Shore Drive (North Bound): 9:30 a.m. – Diverted to Lake Front Path
- Mile 9.7 at Oakwood & Lake Shore Drive (South Bound): 9:46 a.m. – Diverted to Lake Front Path
- Mile 10.8 at 47th & Lake Shore Drive (South Bound): 10:04 a.m. – Diverted to Lake Front Path
- Mile 11.6 at 53rd & Lake Shore Drive (South Bound): 10:16 a.m. – Diverted to Lake Front Path